Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Session Two: Sickles Alphabet

So, session two was pretty awesome.  It was on the Sickles Alphabet, which is an alphabet that used to be used a whole lot in the late 1800s/early 1900s on posters, in newspapers, etc.

The session was taught by Michael Sull, who is pretty much one of the world's greatest calligraphers.  He mostly does Spencerian script.  I even have his Spencerian DVD (yes, you read that correctly, a calligraphy DVD, and trust me it's just as good as it sounds).

Anyway, it's basically an alphabet drawn in boxes.  Here are my three worksheets from class.


The fun part about this alphabet is that there are no rules.  Sometimes I do better with no rules.


I want to test this out on an envelope sometime.  I think the writing on a curve is pretty awesome.  And, we used pencil, colored pencils and micron pens to write.


So towards the end, Michael came around to see everyone's work.  When he got to me, he saw my Washington, DC pictured above and said, "WOW, that's amazing.  You really are having fun with this." I'm pretty positive that I blushed and pretty positive that I also almost fainted.  What a compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment