Thursday, August 5, 2010

Putting the Sexy back in the RSVP

This post is more commentary on a growing trend that I must say, disappoints me in so many ways.  It's the lack of the RSVP.  Everyday people are getting invited to various events and not responding if they will be there or not.  My guess is they are waiting to see if they get a better offer, which I can kind of understand, but can't anyone commit to anything anymore?  Don't people know that it's polite to RSVP? Miss Manners and Emily Post say it is.

I'm a calligrapher, so seeing invitations is part of my job.  I'm addressing all of these beautiful invitations for lovely events and every time I send them out, I tell the clients that they can be sure that at least 10%, if not more, won't reply by the deadline.

I'm also a wedding planner with Pineapple Productions.  This is something that we tell our clients we are happy to follow up on if people don't respond by the date if they'd like us to.  Or we tell them to divide it up among family/friends and just start making follow up calls.   This can take a LONG time.  The last thing someone wants to do, three weeks before their wedding is call a bunch of people to see if they are coming.

I'm also someone who likes to host a party or two.   My friends and I are always trying to figure out new ideas for social gatherings and we invite people we know, some we don't know, and tell people to bring people if they want.  When you are preparing all the food and drink, it's nice to know who is coming.

So, I'm going to try to put the sexy back in the RSVP.  I'm going to try to get my RSVPs in as quickly as possible and not only that, I'm going to encourage friends who I know are attending the same event to RSVP as soon as they can too.  I'm going to make it cool to commit to an event.  Just decide if you are going to go and tell the person.  It can't really be that hard, can it?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment