Monday, August 1, 2011

Monograms


So I just got back from the IAMPETH convention in Phoenix and it was fabulous!

I went last year to the Orlando conference and it was great, but this was a lot different. I made a point to make sure to take classes where I'd do something completely different than what I usually do. That meant watercolors (disasterous), illuminating (only slightly better) and a whole lot of flourishing.

My most favorite class, and also the very last one, was the Monogram class that Michael Sull taught. Last year, I loved his Sickles Alphabet class so I figured I'd enjoy monograms too, but I had no idea just how much fun I'd have. Michael has a true gift of being able to teach in a way that makes total sense (to me at least). I've always wanted to do monograms and have struggled through creating some on my own, but the way that Michael taught this, made it so easy. It's based in Spencerian capitals rather than Copperplate capitals, which could be one of the reasons that it made more sense.

Above is my own monogram. I'm contemplating having it turned into a tattoo. :) Or maybe just my new logo when I re-brand AW Calligraphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment