Friday, August 5, 2011

The Artful Flourish

So, let's just say that I'm not a flourisher. I had attempted many times to make some pretty pictures with my pen but had failed each and every time to do more than a little squiggly line. This was the main reason that I picked Heather's class.

I was incredibly nervous starting out. I'm used to writing so this was very out of the box for me. Heather started with very basic concepts and basic strokes, just compound curves. She then introduced a concept that was truly what helped me to "get" flourishing and that was the one of the most important things was to move the paper as you were writing. Sounds so simple, but I had never done this before. And when I started moving the paper, things started to make sense.

We did two "projects" that I really enjoyed. The first was a flourished Christmas Tree. This will definitely make an appearance this Christmas as my holiday card.



The next was a flower/flourish combo with colored pencils and my new most favorite item, Fin Tec gold paint. The look is incredibly Victorian, which is what Heather is inspired by, but I actually really like it.



I'm not sure that I'll use flourishing in my everyday work, but the class was absolutely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment